A Defining Moment
I have waited for a few days to post an entry about the school bus tragedy that happened last week. It was the definition of a horrible accident. It was gruesome, terrible and incredibly sad. I have said to many people, that what happened that Monday morning was an event that Huntsville will never forget. As a young journalist, it was a defining moment in my career. I was on the air for seven hours straight- anchoring our coverage. There was no food, no bathroom break, just seven hours of coverage. It was a VERY long day for me, but I did not mind. My adrenaline kept me going. In no way was this story about me, but I was certainly touched by it. It was heart-wrenching, emotional and spirited. I know it is my job to deliver the news, but considering what happened Monday, it was my responsibility as a human- to deliver the news yes, but to keep in mind the viewers and I what I owe them- my best. As the news was coming into our newsroom and the unedited video, there were times when I had to remind myself to keep my composure and to attend to the task at hand. But this was the kind of story that grabs you, and doesn't let go, even as you are telling it. There were no scripts in our coverage on Monday, and there was no rundown. This is unlike other news broadcasts. I was passing along the information as it was given to me and I was inquiring of our reporters for more. It was live television for a breaking news event. This was as urgent and as late breaking as it gets. I think I did well, and I am thankful for those who both applauded and criticized my work. You can't please everyone, but I feel good about it. It's a day I won't soon forget.
I offer my condolences to the families of the young ladies who were killed and also to the students who were on the bus. I am praying for them.


1 Comments:
It is a very sad event. What I'm upset about is that Church from Kansas, protested one of the funerals. I never heard if that took place, but I knew the HPD gave them a premit to. I can't believe the city of Huntsville would do such a thing. It's terrible to protest someone's funeral. Reguardless of what happen, esp a young female with her life ahead of her. It's sad. My thoughts are with the families.
Post a Comment
<< Home