Monday, June 30, 2008

Breathe, Pray, Smile- I did it!

Less than two months after writing to you about considering going skydiving, I have taken the plunge! This weekend I was granted an opportunity to jump with the U.S. Army's Golden Knights as part of the 2008 Huntsville Airshow. Before I knew it, I'd volunteered to do it and I'm glad I did. It was an unforgettable experience.

Of course I was nervous, because after all I would be jumping out of a perfectly good airplane-13,000 feet above ground, falling at 120mph; yet I wasn't terrified! I said many prayers and trusted that God would take care of me. I knew HE would. However, when we first jumped out of the plane, I thought I was going to die, seriously! That lasted for about five seconds and then I reminded myself to breathe, pray and smile (the instructor told me to smile so my pictures would look good!) My tandem team- Joe, Joe and Bryan was the best! They walked me through the process and tried to keep me calm with their never ending jokes. Trust me, few of them were really funny- something about "brown chicken, brown cow" and calling my jumpsuit the latest in "fall" fashion." (I know, not funny.)

At the time we jumped, two of the Golden Knights' photographers also jumped to get video and pictures of my once-in-a-lifetime experience. I was more concerned with breathing and praying, but I'm glad I remembered to smile. Thanks guys!

I didn't tell my mother about my adventure until it was over. I am an only child and my mother would have discouraged me from doing it. Actually, she wouldn't have discouraged me, she would have just said no, and that would have been it- case closed! When I called her Saturday afternoon, she screamed. I told her I figured either I would call her Saturday afternoon or the Army would call her. Mommie said she didn't want any calls from the Army! I'm glad they didn't have to reach her. Everyone keeps asking if I'd do it again. I could, but I think if I did, it would pale in comparison to my experience with the Golden Knights. Go Army.

Watch the video



NOTE: I cannot write about my wonderful experience on Saturday, without expressing my condolences to the family of five-year-old Josiah Miller who was killed during the airshow on Sunday. I jumped on Saturday and did not attend the show on Sunday. I know this is an extremely difficult time for the Miller family and there are no words to comfort them. I am praying for them and I know that just as God took care of me during that jump, He will also be with them during this tragedy.

6 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,
I was there for your jump and I must say you've got GUTS!!!

 
At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa I was also there for your jump. When they said that one of the 19 news team was going to jump I new it was you. Way to go! I love listening to 19 news every morning before work. I will remember the family of the boy that was killed in my prayers.
God Bless

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

To Lisa, first let me say that I think the whole valley sends their condolences to the family of little Josiah Miller, that was truly tragic. And as you for sky diving, well I don’t think there is nothing wrong with trying new things, after all it was on your list of to-do’s so kudos’ to you for sticking to it, I’m sure it gave your mom quite a scare, she probably would want you try things that aren’t so high off of the ground, but anywho, I’m glad you made it through the whole experience safe and sound and hopefully you had a little fun while you were at it, and send Love to your mom from me o.k. -

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger tgooden said...

Lisa,
You know I am still upset about you not skydiving with me I am going to write a blog about it stay tuned. To all you bloggers I am the co-worker that she mentioned in a previous blog about skydiving.

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,
My heart goes out to Josiah's family as well.

I am surprised that all your mom did was scream. That doesn't sound like her, you must have spoken to someone else. Because if I know your mom like I think I do, she would have gone back in time and erased your entire skydiving adventure. Well I watched the video and I was on edge. Driving down the hospital hill is too much for me!
Love
Dandee

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Namaste,

take note to your mind and listen to the echo of the Beloved’s voice.
Everyone has the wish to unite with the worship; yet we are forever united with our Beloved’s love.
This worship is awakened as the favorite looks into our hearts.
_________________________
george
Addiction Recovery Washington

 

Post a Comment

<< Home